As a parent myself, I often struggle to come up with healthy ideas for school snacks. Here is a list of popular snacks found in the lunchboxes of some of our SpringRoots children, as well as in my own home.
- Homemade Lunchables (use a small cookie cutter to make circle shapes out of cheese and all natural ham slices or turkey breast, and add your favorite wholegrain cracker)
- Cream cheese pinwheels (these are actually on the summer menu at Springroots and are very popular! Spread cream cheese of your choice on a wholegrain tortilla; roll tightly and cut into “pinwheel” segments)
- Apple Slices and Wow! Butter (as a peanut-free center, we use Wow! butter in place of peanut butter on our menu. This is a very delicious and healthy combination!)
- Hummus and pita/veggie sticks (another favorite at Springroots and a great source of protein and vitamins)
- Greek yogurt and berries (add nut-free granola for a bit of delicious crunch!)
- Applesauce pouches (these are super easy for young children to eat and are not nearly as messy as the traditional applesauce cups. They come in many great flavours and some even combine both fruits and vegetables)
- “Trail Mix” ( combine several healthy cereals, plain goldfish crackers, raisins, craisins, yogurt covered raisins, and a few treats like teddy grahams or a less healthy cereal. This is always a huge hit and can be easily customized based on your child’s likes and dislikes)
These are just a few ideas; nut-free granola bars, goldfish crackers, cereal bars, etc are always popular as well. Happy Snacking!